- Cranial nerve impact on assessment and treatment
- Diagnostics and thorough chart reviews
- Medications and lab values
- Clinical and instrument assessment techniques
- Provide therapy on a budget
- Retrain the brain to swallow
- Therapeutic tools to increase exercise-based therapy
During this seminar you will learn functional assessment techniques and discover how the cranial nerves drive both assessment and treatment. Join national speaker and dysphagia expert, Meghan Schaufele, MA, CCC-SLP, BCS-S, as she teaches you practical, functional and affordable strategies and techniques that can be immediately incorporated into your workday. Learn the latest, most effective techniques and exercises, including:
- Pharyngeal exercises
- Exercise-based therapy
- Oral manipulation
- Effortful swallow
- Using the bolus as resistance
Take home affordable alternative treatment tools and assessment techniques.
Muscle-based exercise is emphasized throughout the course, along with ideas you can utilize the next day!
PART 1: ASSESSMENT
- Disease Processes
- Lab Values
Oral Mech Exam
- Cranial Nerve Examination
- Cervical Auscultation
- Ounce Water Swallow Test
- Symptoms/Indications from the Swallow Assessment
PART II: TREATMENT
- Kinesio Taping®
- Pharyngeal Exercises
- Myofascial Release
- Mendelsohn Maneuver
- Oral Manipulation
- Effortful Swallow
- Lingual with Resistance
- Myofascial Release
- Beckman Program
- Pressure Biofeedback
- Chin Tuck
- Head Turn
- Supra and Super-Supra Glottic Swallow
- Head Back/Chin Up
- Side Lying
Technology in Dysphagia Therapy
- iPad®/iPhone® apps
- Android apps for dysphagia
- Online Dysphagia Resources
- Describe a cranial nerve assessment and the function of the cranial nerves.
- Identify key elements necessary for the development of a comprehensive dysphagia evaluation.
- Summarize therapeutic treatment strategies to increase the functional swallow.
- Examine contributing factors to dysphagia such as: medications, lab values and cranial nerve dysfunction.
- Explain neuroplasticity principles to increase swallow function.
- Identify ways that technology can be incorporated in dysphagia therapy.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at 1-800-844-8260.
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to: PO Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call 1-800-844-8260.