Presentation Title: Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics in Severe, Persistent Mental Illness
Ryan Smith, DO, PhD
1. Describe the Indications, side-effects, cost and toxicities of the main long-acting injectable antipsychotics currently on the market.
2. Compare and contrast the utility of each long-acting injectable antipsychotic based upon specific patient characteristics and state the diagnoses each is FDA approved for.
3. Understand techniques for approaching the concept of long-acting injectable antipsychotic medications with patients.
Presentation Title: Re-conceptualizing Psychiatric Medications
Lewis Mehl-Madrona, MD
1.Participants will be able to articulate three reasons for the move from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association (DSM) to Research Domain Criteria
2. Participants will be able to list at least 5 brain circuits involved in emotional disorders.
3. Participants will be able to match at three classes of medications with the brain circuits that they modulate.
The Maine Osteopathic Association is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians.The Maine Osteopathic Association designates this program for a maximum of 2.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.